Kaskelot Yacht Design
The Kaskelot remains one of largest wooden ships in commission. Built in 1948 by J. Ring-Andersen, it was originally used by the Royal Greenland Trading Company in order to carry supplies. Later in the 60s, it became a support vessel for the Faroe Islands.
In 2007, marking 300 years since the abolition of African slavery by Great Britain, the Kaskelot sailed up the River Thames, representing ‘Zong’ – one of the notorious slave ships used during this period, it was the scene of the mass execution of over 130 slaves.
Refit & Rebuild
In 2013 the ship was purchased by British buyers, and Ed Burnett was the one they wanted to lead the refit and rebuild. The first thing to tackle was restructuring of the naval architecture in compliance with the classification of the boat.
Next, the deck needed to be restructured in order to accommodate charter parties. As such, more space was made and a great deal of seating and decking area repurposed to comfort guests. Below deck, the accommodation needed to be redesigned in order to house up to 45 guests as well as 16 crew.
The last fully wooden tall ship sailing today, Kaskelot is now based in Bristol and available for private charter.